Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My job

I went to a ceremony today for the (now) former CEO of the company that I work for, and all that they could talk about was how much money he had helped the company make. From stock prices to the total amount earned by the company, it was all about money.

Now I understand about how money, and not the cheese, stands alone in importance to a lot of people. I guess it just seemed simplistic to measure the life and career of a man in terms of capital gains, and not in terms of lives impacted. The things that I value most are the intrinsic qualities of things...making a child laugh or helping someone to remember a better time. Perhaps I'm just more relational, but these are more lofty goals than some fourth quarter estimated earnings report, or at least it seems that way to me. I guess I'm just not cut out to work for a company; I guess I'm not cut out to make a bunch of money.

Heaven, enable me to work towards the things that I value most. Let me learn from my current experiences, but let them remain current only for as long as they need be.

Quote for the Day: "Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and in cold weather becomes frozen: even so does inaction sap the vigors of the mind."- Leonardo da Vinci

For those who are reading this and saying, "Hey, this isn't funny", I submit this; A horse walked into a bar, and the bartender asked, "Why the long face?"

No comments: