Monday, May 18, 2009

Running Is Hard Work

If you're looking for a sore and stiff body, I recommend that you run for four miles from downtown San Diego, across the Coronado Bay Bridge, and into Coronado with approximately 8,000 of your closest friends. To compound the stress on your body, though one would view running as a straightforward affair, when you are surrounded by so many people (many of whom who have strollers), it becomes something of a lateral event. Let's just say I felt like I was in a real-life game of Frogger, particularly when I missed a jump onto a log and I drowned, even though I, as a frog, should have been able to swim.

But I digress.

All in all, I ran most of the race, though I walked up the bridge because, really, that is some crazy incline, yo! I finished in about the time that I was hoping to (1:05:05), which is likely a little long as it took us several minutes to reach the starting line after the opening horn had blown.

In short, it was a great time, and I am looking forward to other races here in the future. I'll probably go with a couple of 5ks to continue to get my running legs underneath me, but my brother is trying to get to run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September. Good luck on that all around.

3 comments:

Emma Anne said...

Good for you, AC! That's such an awesome accomplishment! I don't even think I could have made it walking up the Coronado Bridge. Serious incline is an understatement. :)

Jen said...

That is so great! Another friend of mine did that race, too & wanted me to join her, but it's been a while since I've run 4 miles. Nice work, AC:) I'm impressed!

Kristy B said...

Wow. That is impressive. There's no way I could even run half of half of half of that. Much less with an incline. And then saying it was a great time afterwards. Dude.