Thursday, January 29, 2009

How Can It Be So Awkward?

I have a lot of respect for folks who write software, particularly for people who write applications in a business environment. I certainly wouldn't want to comb through hundreds of lines of code in order to find why something isn't working, and there is something to be said for those who are willing to do that. Nevertheless, I can't seem to help getting into weird, unreasonable conversations whenever I'm asked to do something by them.

Setting: My Desk

They: So, I need you to QA this application I've written for you.

Me: Okay, so should I look at the data we already submitted for the third quarter and compare it to what the report is spitting out now?

They: (With a pained look) Actually, we already did that.

Me: (Not sure what to check in that case) Uh. So what should I look at then?

They: Well, you could look at fourth quarter data.

Me: (Not out loud) But...But...we only have the new data for the fourth quarter. How can I double-check it without having something to compare it to?

They: (Awkward glance)

Me: (Tears)

Lights out.

I ask you, gentle readers, how is anyone supposed to get out of that conversation without crying?

2 comments:

Jen said...

This sounds like a scenario that should be on The Office!

Analyst Catalyst said...

To quote Tevye, if they would agree, I would agree.