Saturday, January 24, 2009

They Had My Number

I recently went through the application process to become a notary public (please note that I am explicitly not advertising notary services here, as I am not supposed to do so until I go through a few more steps). It wasn't very difficult; I mostly just had to go to a class and pass a test. After that it's just waiting to see if I pass the test (which I did) and then waiting to see if the Secretary of State decides to give me a commission. Once I receive my commission, I need to purchase a bond (to protect consumers in case I notarize something incorrectly [with a nod to a friend with a side business]) and then go take an oath with the county clerk.

I took the test on December tenth.

When I checked my mail yesterday, I received four offers from different bond companies congratulating me on my recent appointment as a notary. This came as quite a surprise to me as I still had not received anything from the Secretary of State, you know, telling me that I had received my commission.

Today, I came home and received my commission.

What this tells me is that, as soon as the Secretary of State announces that a person is getting commissioned, immediately the bond companies send out advertisements which are, in turn, faster at informing people of their notary status than the state of California is.

P.s.: When I tell people about this in real life, they don't think it's very funny or amusing, so if you didn't think it was funny, rest assured that you are in good company. I still think it's funny though.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congrats on receiving your commission! And nice of you to give the nod to the friend with the side business :)