Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Thankfully Un-Stinky Experience

The gf's new apartment has no visitor parking. As such, any time that I wish to see her, I need to go and park on the street before I may ascend her staircase and sing her praises while simultaneously fanning her and feeding her grapes. Although the opposite would seem to be the case, this is normally no big deal as the street is not that far away.

However, last night on my journey back to the car from her apartment, I came across something out of a nature show.

Right next to the stairway that leads to the street, there were two skunks. That's right: skunks. As her neighborhood is a fairly well populated one, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had to stop right in my tracks out of fear at the prospect of two animals that could spray me with their foul smelling juices.

Plus, I didn't know if they could bite. Do skunks bite if their stink doesn't drive predators off? They are technically rodents, I believe, and so biting would seem to be in their lexicon of defense. Frankly, I didn't want to find out first hand.

So there I was. It was like that scene at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring where Gandalf tells the big monster, "You shall not pass!"

Except in this case, the skunks were Gandalf, and I was the monster, which is probably pretty accurate, except that I didn't charge them and therefore break the rock bridge that we were standing on.

Yup. Other than those things, I stand behind that analogy.

They eventually wandered away, and I was free to go to my vehicle, thankful that another opportunity for heroism or at least manliness had passed me by.

No comments: