Monday, March 06, 2006

An Open Letter to the Academy

To Whom It May Concern:

I am utterly, totally, and completely shocked at the black balling of what I think is the most imaginative movie of the year. How can you Academy members sleep without at least nominating the ACTUAL best film of the year?

It should come as no shock to anyone who saw a movie last year that the film that I am, of course, referring to is Red Eye.

The subtle, nuanced performances of Cillian Murphy and Rachel McAdams were truly something to write home about. I didn't get a chance to see this movie in theatres (probably because the censorship of truly great art was exhibited not only in the black balling at the awards, but also in the advertising), but when I did rent it on dvd, it was indeed, as the cover states, a "Killer of a Thriller."

The truly great thing about this movie was the script. I could barely keep abreast of the plot twists. For example, after she stabs him in the throat with the Frankenstein pen and essentially leaves him for dead (though he does later "come back to life" in some of the most genius foreshadowing this side of V.C. Andrews) she goes to her dad's house to make sure that the killer is still in the car outside. I don't want to spoil the whole movie for you, but let's just say that the killer is not in the car. Oops.

I insist on a recount of the votes. Surely some members at the Academy must have voted with their conscience and gone with what you knew the best picture of the year truly was. And if none of you did, well, I would then have to surmise that not very much learning goes on at your Academy. Now that I think about it, why are students judging what the best films are anyway? Shouldn't professionals be doing that?

I await your timely response on these issues.

Lovingly,
Analyst Catalyst

1 comment:

:: mandy :: said...

analyst catalyst,

some are given the gift of poignance, others the streamers-and-confetti flying party of written humor. i was laughing so hard i started crying when i read about your jalapeno quesadilla. if i could write such effective humor, i would be a very happy mandy.